Monday, September 15, 2008

faith

I have been thinking about faith a lot lately. How does one live out a life of reckless abandonment to Christ alone? How do we throw down the attachments to this world to live the promised life today- before we actually see it?

I love the connection between faith and actions. It's almost as mysterious as a marriage union. How two are one, yet remain individuals.

When Abraham placed Issac on the alter he had to do just that, place him. Knowing that in faith God could raise him back from the dead, if He chose to.

It was an if-then. If you step out in actions/faith, I will bless you, I will reveal myself to you, you will be my people and I will be your God.

I love the story of Moses. I can relate so much to this guy who keeps insisting that he doesn't have what it takes. I wonder really what it felt like to leave the security of his acreage in the wilderness, packing up his family, leaving his in laws and community to go back to a land he fled. Not knowing how they would respond, thinking he would fumble with his words, and knowing they knew his sin. But seeing that God's people needed deliverance. Deliverance from the bondage that entrapped them.

Talk about faith in action. Action in faith. Living the unseen.

Call me a dreamer. But I think God has instilled things in us. I think sometimes we are afraid to question. Afraid to act. Afraid of what faith in the unseen looks like. Because it's unseen. What is God doing in this generation?

If -then.

It's kinda weird. When we finally see the unseen, see the promised land, our opportunity to live in faith will be gone.


Hebrews11:1-2
The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It's our handle on what we can not see. The act of faith is what distingished out ancestors, set them above he crowd.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hope everyone can catch just a little bit of your passion to live out a life of real faith, one of real action, not just words and fake smiles. I am so proud to have you as truely my other half!

Amie said...

Your post is exactly what I have been struggling with the last few weeks - to really know true faith. So glad you posted this!

Heth said...

Because we are studying Daniel right now, all I can think of is the fiery furnace. Their faith was CRAZY! "Our God can deliver us and even if He doesn't..." Who says that?! People who have faith in their God, that's who.

Anonymous said...

you make my heart sing!!! ben and I had this same conversation tonight it is craziness, complete nutso! we even discussed Abraham and how much faith that took WOW this hit the nail on the head and then some! I am totally flabbergasted (that is an awesome word!) in Heth's words I WANT "CRAZY" FAITH!!! I want to jump out of the boat---but I don't..I still think I have to do it all--fix it all--by myself---and then in the end i turn to Him and it is always a Duh (insert slap of forehead) should have had a V-8 moment! WHY IS RECKLESS ABANDON SO HARD--cuz you know if we just did it we would be FREE!! That is how He intends for us to be! DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!